Eastview Basketball Association
Bylaws and Rules
I. Name of Organization
1. Eastview Basketball Association hereinafter referred to as EBA
2. Eastview Basketball Association also known as the Society, which is registered as a Society with The Alberta Consumer & Corporate Affairs, hereby referred to as EBA
1. A member is any person who is the parent or guardian of a currently registered EBA player or who is an EBA coach or an EBA Executive member.
2. Membership will cease when the player is no longer registered with EBA or the member is no longer a registered coach or a current Executive member.
3. Membership fees, if any, will be determined annually by the current Executive.
4. Any person wishing to withdraw from the membership may do so upon written notice to the Secretary. If any member is in arrears for fees or assessments for any year, such member shall be automatically suspended immediately and shall thereafter be entitled to no membership privileges or powers in the Association until reinstated. Any member or player may be expelled from the Association for any reason the Association deems reasonable but only upon a two-thirds majority vote by the Executive or if necessary, by members at a Special Meeting.
5. The rights and obligations of the members shall be to adhere to the by-laws.
III. Executive Committee and their elections
1. The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, up to two Vice-Presidents, as needed, the Secretary, the Treasurer, the Registrar, Gym Coordinator, Equipment Coordinator, Coaches Coordinator and Casino Coordinator. Each Annual General Meeting will elect from the membership, the Executive Committee. The President will become the Past President, an ex-Officio position for one year.
2. The President will conduct all meetings of the Association and be responsible for the general business and responsibilities of EBA.
3. The Vice-Presidents will assume such responsibilities as are assigned them.
4. The Secretary will keep accurate minutes and records of all meetings of the Association. He/She will distribute meetings minutes in a timely fashion, so that all attendees may attend to all business recorded. The Secretary shall have charge of all the correspondence of the Association and be under the direction of the President & Executive. The Secretary shall also keep a record of all the members of the Association and their addresses, and send all notices of the various meetings as required.
5. The Treasurer will be responsible for all financial business of the Association and the record-keeper of all financial transactions. He/She shall present a full detailed account of receipts and disbursements to the Executive whenever required and shall prepare, for submission, to the Annual Meeting, a statement duly audited by two other members.
6. The Registrar will be responsible for accepting applications for membership, determine the age category members are to be placed in, and responsible for determining team structure, with input from the President and team Coaches. The Registrar will immediately turn all fees over to the Treasurer.
7. The Gym Coordinator will acquire gym times from various sources and assign practice times to all teams registered with EBA.
8. The Equipment Coordinator will keep inventory and distribute all pertinent equipment, such as - Balls, Uniforms, Pinneys, First Aid Kits & Score sheets at the start of the season, and collect these items at the end of the season.
9. The Coaches Coordinator will be the direct contact to all the coaches.
10. The Casino Coordinator will ensure that all applications for Casino are in order, and will coordinate the volunteers for each event.
11. The Executive Committee will have full responsibility for management of the affairs of the Association as per the EBA by-laws and direction from the membership at any of the duly constituted meetings of the Association.
12. Should any member of the Executive Committee resign, the remaining Executive may appoint a replacement from the membership who would hold office until the next Annual General Meeting.
13. The removal of an elected member will be by a majority vote of those members present at a duly called Meeting of the Executive or Special Meeting.
IV. Meetings of the Association
1. Voting at all meetings of the Association will be in person by show of hands or ballot. A majority will determine the vote.
2. Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be monthly or at the call of the President or Secretary. Notice of meetings will be one week written or three days by telephone or e-mail. All members may vote. Three members will constitute a quorum. Meetings may be held without due notice if a quorum is present, provided that any decisions are ratified at the next duly called and constituted Executive meeting.
3. Special meetings of the Association may be called from time to time as deemed necessary, by the Secretary, or upon presentation to the Secretary, of a petition signed by 40 members of EBA requesting a Special Meeting. Only members of the Association may vote. A quorum will consist of twenty members. Members will be notified of a special meeting in writing at least two weeks prior.
4. An Annual General Meeting will be called by the Secretary before the end of March each year to present to the membership the following:
A. President’s Report
B. Financial statement for the previous year ended
C. Election of the Executive Committee per section II
D. Election/appointment of Auditor/s if necessary.
Members will be notified of the meeting in writing at least two weeks prior to the meeting date. A quorum will be twenty members. All members of the Association (in good standing) may vote.
1. The financial year shall be from June 1st to May 31st.
2. The signing officers of the Association shall be the Treasurer, The President and one other member of the Executive. Two of three signatures are required on all outgoing cheques held by EBA.
3. The books and records of the Association may be inspected by any member, upon reasonable notice.
4. All profits and other accretions will be used solely to promote the objectives of the Eastview Basketball Association.
VI. Amending the Bylaws
1. The bylaws may be altered, rescinded or added to by a Special Resolution in accordance to the Societies act of Alberta, at a special meeting passed by a majority of such members entitled to vote as are present in person.
VII. Team & Player Registration
1. Registered players will be assigned to their appropriate age category.
2. Each age category will be assessed. If there are enough players to warrant, the age category will be split in to more than one team. EBA will strive to put players equal in skill on the same team.
3. The Association may request a player to change age categories to the benefit of both that player and the affected teams.
4. The Association will take requests to change age categories. Requests will be reviewed, their acceptance will depend on the following considerations:
A. The number of players in an existing age category and in that being requested. If a team has too few or too many players by moving a player, the request will be denied.
B. Skill level and maturity of the player. If the existing team does not support the skill level of the player, acceptance of the request is more likely.
C. A player may not move more than one age category.
D. If an appropriate skill level is not available in EBA, that player may request to move to another community.
5. Player registration may be denied if a category has been filled, and there are not enough players to make another team. Every effort will then be made to transfer the player to another community.
These By-laws have been accepted and ratified by a majority vote of the Membership on this day:
_________________________ __ ______________________________
Signed by: Witnessed by:
__________________________ _ ______________________________
Eastview Basketball Association ______________________________
Created by: Craig Glenn -- Last updated:Sep 15, 2008